-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

2 posters

Transformation Menu Efficiency

Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Transformation Menu Efficiency Empty Transformation Menu Efficiency

Post by Probe Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:35 am

FOR THE FOLLOWING YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR KEYBOARD AND FEEL HOW UNNATURAL, NATURAL THINGS ARE.

Someone has to say it: U is like the least comfortable place for a transformation button. The majority of people who use computers very frequently, statistically, rest their left hand on ASDF (as per normal typing) or WASD (for FPS or TPS gamers) when they have their left hand on the keyboard. This is especially true for SC2, as the grid hotkeys and standard hotkeys focus on efficiency on the LEFT DAMNED SIDE OF THE KEYBOARD.

Worker hotkeys in SC2:

Zerg: S then D
    Protoss: E
    Terran: S

If we take this information and put our fingers on ASDF and try to reach U, its incredibly annoying and unnatural.

Not to mention the other hotkeys in The Thing all focus around the left hand side of the keyboard as well.

Attack - A
    Stop - S
    Grenade - G
    Throw - T
    Lock - D
    Stim - T

So why should we be reaching to U to transform and possibly even farther for certain transformation options?
    These are the current ones as far as I am aware:

Transform into Thing: U
    Submenu Tranformation into Marine: U
    Selection: Y
    Previous: U
    Last Consumed: I
    Original Color: D

Besides the last one, and arguably Y, the other two are terrible. How the hell do you reach 'I' with your left hand if it is required to stay on the left hand side of the keyboard for other abilities??!??!?!?!?

Recently, Vic updated the Transformation system to be more user-friendly, promoting quicker use and use in general.
    Now, I'm asking for another look at it, to make it more efficient and more friendly.

Here's what I propose, it follows similar format to what Vic did, only further to the left:

Transform into Thing: E
    Submenu Tranformation into Marine: E
    Selection: Q
    Previous: W
    Last Consumed: E (Double tapping E = fast morph into recently killed marine)
    Original Color: R

As far as I'm aware this would not interfere with any abilities so minimal hassle is required to make this change. (please notify me if otherwise)

NOW.
    EXPERIENCED PLAYERS, REGULAR PLAYERS, ALL PLAYERS.

Put your hand on the keyboard, along ASDF. Then, pretend you are playing and you need to morph very quickly into the person you just killed JUST out of range of other marines.
    To do this, hit 'E' twice.
    Wasn't that easy? Didn't that feel natural?
    Now, put your hand on the keyboard again, along ASDF. Double tap U to morph quick.

What would this change do?

A) Easier tranformation
    B) Keys are closer together so players who don't know EXACTLY where 'far away U' is, don't have to look at their keyboard.
    C) Less stretching your finger across the keyboard
    D) Faster transfromation
    E) Overall, make the menu more efficient

As an overall bonus, the four hotkeys I've used follow in a straight line along qwerty. QWER are all beside eachother for consistency, unlike YUID (where the fuck has D gone?)

I can't stress enough how annoying U is for a base.

Try hitting U twice to morph and then D to lock. Its a hassle as at the same time you are controlling your mouse and watching the marines, unable to look at your keyboard.

But yah, alert me if there are any ability crossovers.
    Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Forum Points (FP) : 182
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0

Transformation Menu Efficiency Empty Re: Transformation Menu Efficiency

Post by Durzan Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Agreed.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 pm