-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

5 posters

Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form

Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 977
    Forum Rating (FR) : 12

Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form Empty Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form

Post by Datasick Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Suggestion
    Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 792
    Forum Rating (FR) : 7

Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form Empty Re: Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form

Post by Vicboy Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Said this before: Enhanced Visuals only work with medium settings or higher. People with lower settings wouldn't see shit.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form Empty Re: Making Enhanced Visuals a forced option for everyone in marine form

Post by Probe Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 am

Workaround: When you join the game your first time have a dialogue option that pops up saying "What Graphics settings do you usually use?" If they choose high or above, set the lighting. If not, leave it. Problem solved.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Post by Datasick Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:12 am

If I was a new player and I was like "Wtf, I can't see anything, it's all black". I would like to see a tip or solution in the middle of my screen rather than the dialog box most newbs don't even look at in the first place (Debug Display is a good style for this).

I like what Probe said about how first time players get that warning, but what about the people who have played before and are un-notified by the change? A possible solution would be having the lighting being the FIRST thing people see in the game info. with a description saying that having Shaders set to high or ultra will give you the full experience (Or make you see) with various warnings included inside the tutorial, opening dialog box, or having that being in one of your end game quotes (I don't know what it's called).

You have something that changes to entire feel of the game, but it's easily looked over.

Last edited by ☠Datasick☠ on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:25 am; edited 2 times in total
    FoolOfATook
    FoolOfATook
    Cadet

Forum Points (FP) : 12
    Forum Rating (FR) : 3

Post by FoolOfATook Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:20 am

☠Datasick☠ wrote:Shaders must be set to high or ultra and that is not asking a lot

But regardless there are those for whom it is not feasible. You, just as anyone else, has no right to force anything down anyone's throat. Be wary of the logic that you are employing.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Post by Datasick Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:24 am

FoolOfATook wrote:
    ☠Datasick☠ wrote:Shaders must be set to high or ultra and that is not asking a lot

But regardless there are those for whom it is not feasible. You, just as anyone else, has no right to force anything down anyone's throat. Be wary of the logic that you are employing.

Haunted forest is a good reference in this situation, they do just fine.
    noodz617
    noodz617
    Cadet

Forum Points (FP) : 19
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0

Post by noodz617 Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:06 am

i say force it down their throats it looks cool
    FoolOfATook
    FoolOfATook
    Cadet

Post by FoolOfATook Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:56 am

☠Datasick☠ wrote:Haunted forest is a good reference in this situation, they do just fine.

You are correct, but I still say it's different for us because they released it like that and we didn't: there are probably people, possibly long-time players even, that you'll screw over like that. And screwing people over is never a good thing.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Post by Datasick Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 am

You really have to explain how enchancing the atmosphere and fitting the game to that of the eerie expectation that the movie sets will screw people over.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Post by Datasick Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:22 am

FFS people want a scary piss their pants atmospheres, since it's pretty much all new players joining they would not know the difference about the lighting unless someone asked, reported that were having difficulties seeing, or inspected ithe available options for themselves.
    FoolOfATook
    FoolOfATook
    Cadet

Post by FoolOfATook Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:26 pm

Sorry, I was away for a couple days.

How will forcing Enhanced Visuals on screw people over? Well, it forces you to have shaders on high, and like I said, even though it doesn't seem like much, there inevitably will be people for whom that's not feasible. There will be people running on complete toasters where lag will be introduced into the game that they don't want. In this case, they should get a better comp, but that's not our providence, not our call.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 4:29 am