-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

4 posters

How to fix pro opt permanently

zakhennahr2

How to fix pro opt permanently Empty How to fix pro opt permanently

Post by zakhennahr2 Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Here is why it should be fixed:
    http://postimg.org/image/dqtls258t/

The latest game was me being thing on very short timeframe (hence he lost), every other game was minithor being picked by pro opt even though he didn't have the higher stats and whatnot and dying (hence he lost). But I digress, this isn't a bug report, since the whole pro opt needs to be replaced by the better system of:

Step 1: Collect all players who opted into a list.
    Step 2: Sort all opting players by ThingRating * ThingPoints, descending, highest to lowest. This way the amount of points a player has matters, but if they're shitty or people keep downvoting them enough it won't matter as much.
    Step 3: Pick a random number N from 1 to X, where X is defined farther below. Basically, a mechanism for saying "Pick from the top opting players".
    Step 4: Pick opted-sorted player N as thing.

When you pick a random player in step 3, you have to have an upper limit otherwise everyone who opted has a chance of being thing, which would make it random opt essentially. So, make X be Min(floor(PlayerCount * .3), Opters). For example, in a 14-player game, if 10 people opt, they get sorted by their TR * TP, and one of the top 4 (14 * .3 = 4.2, floored is 4) players gets picked as thing. Hence, pro opt does its magic. If only 3 people opt, however, then one of the top three opters will get picked. This lets new players try to be thing as well, but if enough pros opt to be thing, then it stays at a relatively pro level. In a 13 player game, the top 3 (or 2 or 1 if only so many opt) would get potentially picked as thing, and so on.

There are no downsides to this system when compared with what we already have, and very little downsides to this system overall. Please go with this method. That way I can stop cringing at the reputation loss Thing has been suffering the past many hours.
    SammyC
    SammyC
    Private
    Private

Forum Points (FP) : 77
    Forum Rating (FR) : -1

How to fix pro opt permanently Empty Re: How to fix pro opt permanently

Post by SammyC Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Personally, i agree with him. Most of the times I play thing the things end up almost always being the same person each time. Pro opt system shouldn't go by ratings because whoever played right after the update fixed is going to have the highest rating because everything reset. Also, I'm not even sure we really need a rating system because even if someone does really good (E.g Thing kills a full lobby) people still rate low because they either A.) didn't get thing B.) they don't like person who is thing or C.) they died.
    FrkShltStorm
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 39
    Forum Rating (FR) : 3

Post by FrkShltStorm Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:48 am

You do realize you can win and it will still show you lost right? clearly he did not lose EVERY game in a row like that, secondly you get thing very often as is, and its not like you are good at it Sad
    it sounds like you just want a system that will be designed to get you thing more often, rather than actually fixing the "issue" at hand.

There are no downsides to this system when compared with what we already have, and very little downsides to this system overall. Please go with this method. That way I can stop cringing at the reputation loss Thing has been suffering the past many hours.

Firstly the thing has become much more popular recently and even if it were declining so much as you say i highly doubt its because who is thing, actually it's reverse. Just because you like a game where the thing wins, in most cases when the thing does win fewer players come back, the lower level players like winning vs thing, anything other than that and you will see a decline lobby to lobby. You sir are extremely fucking biased.

Also this system has many flaws... You see in general the player with the highest score tends to be better with lower scores, and with this system you are allowing other players with lower scores (worse players) to then get a chance at thing and yet your issue is that bad things with high scores get picked... YOU only want this so you can get thing that's fucking it, come up with a better and less biased system than something that will get you thing more often ffs.

also if you want me to prove that your pic is complete bullshit just ask and ill provide it. also personal attacks that are not even real, are u fucking kidding me?
    zakhennahr2

Post by zakhennahr2 Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:59 am

Who are you and why are you so butthurt? I *played* all of those games and know he lost. Thanks, I know you were there (oh? No you weren't?). I'm a better thing than minithor, that's for sure, he lost 25 out of 25 games playing as thing.

When I said "thing reputation" I was talking about the actual character the thing. Since he was playing it shittily. Kids these days, misreading internet posts and giving butthurt replies... Please re-read my post, first, then undertsand how PRO OPT PICKS ME NOW BY DEFAULT SINCE I AM LEVEL 100 THING and I am still voting to change it. Then go ahead and bitch on some other forum after misreading a post?
    zakhennahr2

Post by zakhennahr2 Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:04 am

Also, I'm re-reading your post since there's just so much stupid in it I couldn't pick up on it all in the first go.

"Also this system has many flaws... You see in general the player with the highest score tends to be better with lower scores" WHAT?!?!? Are you fucking retarded? "This system has many flaws, I tell you X is true, then I tell you opposite of X is true"

"with this system you are allowing other players with lower scores (worse players) to then get a chance at thing" No shit, that's the point. If the top opters for pro in a 14 game are levels 100, 5, and 2, then the 5 and 2 should have a chance at getting it too, so 100 doesn't dominate it all the time.

"YOU only want this so you can get thing that's fucking it" Please go into MiniThor's history and watch the replays if you can. They are pathetic. I want *any* better thing to be picked, not necessarily myself. Good try though!

"also if you want me to prove that your pic is complete bullshit just ask and ill provide it" Fucking provide it. Let's see how you respond to being called out on your dipshittery.

"also personal attacks that are not even real, are u fucking kidding me" I'm not even... Ahahahahahahahaha. Just, so golden.
    Perplexate
    Perplexate
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 462
    Forum Rating (FR) : 11

Post by Perplexate Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:56 am

Allow me to toss in my tidbits...

1. No player should be Thing until they have atleast 20k points, and have an integral understanding of the fucking game. Someone with 20 games under their belt doesn't know shit and will lose every time. I myself didn't play thing until I had 25k points, and I'm currently one of the best Opt-Ins their is, despite only having 18k TP, due to me having an inert understanding of the game and tactics the Thing uses so that I could be succesful.

2. Pro-Opt is broken and allows a single person unlimited plays as Thing. This can be fixed MANY ways. One such way would be to only allow them to be it a certain number of times in a row, or make pro-opt choose from the top 3 TP players. Either way it should be changed to allow a more diverse system of choosing.

3. Zak, I do suggest you be nicer to people, you won't make any friends on your current path, which won't help you in the long run. Also, that's (Probably) FRK. He has had the most points and plays of any player for the past 2 years, with over 300k MP, and 400k TP. He knows what he's talking about. Asking 'Who are you, and Y U su butthurt bruh', is kind of ignorant...You Whelp.

P.S. FRK, don't be a bully to the new guys.
    zakhennahr2

Post by zakhennahr2 Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:28 am

Yeah, I have a thing where I don't respect people on the internet who can't act like a half-decent human being from the beginning, since I don't consider them people until they prove otherwise. Wait, is his alt "IM THE BIGGEST VET PRO" Seven? Ah, hahahahahahaha. I know who he is now and why he dove right into being a bitch, what with him and goodone helping thing in an 8-player game and still losing. His ego is bruised Razz

Also I'd wager the general level of douchebaggery from these pros is why there are now 4 lobby trolls douchebagging the games... goodone, zankza, secondseven, deafboy...
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Post by Probe Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Why is it that I leave the forums for one day and suddenly there are a billion posts a disagree with?

Next time I have access to a computer i will update on all threads :>
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 am

Ok, first of all FUCK Zak's idea. In the ass!

REPEATEDLY.

Its retarded as fuck because players ALWAYS downvote regardless of the situations. Unless you win, you get 1 or 2, so much so that some players always rate 5 to counterbalance the situation. This doesn't happen in EVERY situation, but tons of players get butthurt. That method DOES NOT WORK.

Also +1 to Perp. Stop being a dick Zak.
    ----------------------

Now, if we want to fix pro opt being used indefinitely, then just make the banks save a hidden ranking/ currency. The ranking gives you +1 point for playing the game as MARINE. Upon playing as The Thing, your rank decreases by 2. This means you can only ever play as The Thing every two games of what you play as a marine. Upon dying as The Thing, you lose an additional 2 points, meaning 4 games of marine (adding another 2 as a penalty for dying.) If your ranking goes below 1, and ends up as 0 you may not opt. (or it will never choose you, either)

Summary:

-Get 1 point for being marine.
    -Lose 2 points for being thing.
    -Lose another 2 points for dying while thing.
    -You may not opt (or be selected to be thing) if your score is 0 or lower.

Why? It means the following:

Fantastic Things (That win every time) can play at a maximum of every other game
    Mediocre Things (That win sometimes) will play every 2-4 games. (assuming they win 50%)
    Bad Things (That win almost never) will play approx every 4 games of marine.

It therefore allows good pro opts to play often, but not always IF THE LOBBY CHOOSES PRO OPT BECAUSE THEY WANT A GOOD THING.

Mediocre things would be the backup pro opt for the fantastic things. This goes the same with bad things. However, it is more likely that bad and mediocre things will be chosen by random opt, so this doesn't affect them as much as pro opt would.

This needs refining and my thought process is jumbled but I'm basically trying to find a way that if you are good, you can play more often than bad players but still not always.
    zakhennahr2

Post by zakhennahr2 Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Yeah if you want me to stop being a dick maybe you shouldn't start off your post with "Ok, first of all FUCK Zak's idea. In the ass!"? Anyways, feel free to add me and any alts I'll be making to troll this game to the list of people ruining it now hahaha. So many fucking idiots just asking for this to happen.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:17 am

I don't get you. One moment you are a regular player who, while being aggravated at everything, hate tkers and think zankza is an idiot. The next you turn your back and gamethrower and become zankza'a apprentice.

Your idea relied on trusting players to give accurate ratings in a community of children. That is called a retarded idea.
    PROTOTYPE

Post by PROTOTYPE Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 am

is it that hard to try new thing if it not well received . just change it back?
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:44 am

I would agree with Prototype. If the work required to install such a feature as listed anywhere (Not Zak's cuz retarded playerbase) is too great, I can understand serious consideration into whether it would be worth it. However, if the work required is not too large, then I would strongly recommend making a change and seeing how it turns out. If it is bad, simply use the backup version and delete the change.

Otherwise, we may only see very little change.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am