-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

4 posters

Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe

Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe Empty Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe

Post by Probe Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Throwing AI

Throwing is an essential ability for the Thing, allowing for it to throw nearby marines to a spot nearby enabling them to get that extra, invaluable, hit off. However, this process is annoyingly interrupted by the seemingly terrible AI of the ability. Entities and Items share the same playing field, and sometimes while attempting to throw a marine, you end up losing the game because you accidentally threw a wrench.
    Here's the Proposal:

It would be appreciated if the Throw-AI prioritized active entities first, and didn't prioritized obtainable items. The reason?

Scenario 1: You very luckily manage to pull off a successful 2 marine kill in a room with 6 marines. However, the marines have regained their sense of reality and decide to rush you with grenades. You escape through a door with one stimmed marine chasing you. You are low on health. He then primes a grenade and proceeds to rub up against you. Upon instinct, you throw the suicide bomber across the room to his death.....wait. You just threw a wrench that you just happened to be crossing when you were throwing. Welp! The grenade explodes and you die. Congratulations. You decided to throw the wrench (obtainable item) over the suicide marine. (active entity)

Scenario 2: You are chasing down a marine. He has continuously avoided you by stimming and locking doors. Finally, you are about to catch up to him. He has less health. Less health. Less health. One final motion of picking him up and bringing him closer to your jaws AND.... Oops. You just threw a medkit at your feet. Now he has full energy again. Happy stimming!

Experienced players have been even known to exploit this by going into a rape room, putting items all over the floor in an attempt to screw up Throw AI to try and make it easier to solo. While creative, this is a stupid resolve to winning a game. One of the original intended purposes of Throw was to throw back grenades lobbed at the Thing. However, this ends up killing you in reality as you move over top of it to throw it and accidentally throw away something stupid like a corpse and end up tanking the grenade. Overall, gameplay quality drags in certain situations.

Solution: Make Active Entities like players and active grenades take prioritization over obtainable items in Throw AI. However, Grey and I believe it would be beneficial if the Riot Shield and Flamethrower were excluded from this change, as it should be a plausible action to survival: Drop the flame in exchange for having The Thing throw it instead. This way, you can still remain alive even if you aren't as powerful as before.

Transformation SubMenu Shortcuts

Switching from The Thing into a marine is tedious work. You are almost always required to use your mouse as hotkeys for the colors are hard to remember, not to mention the time it takes to figure out what colors you do and don't have. Almost every transformation required good control or a second or two delay in a player's actions. This proposal includes making an easier option for players who are unfamiliar with the hotkeys of transformation, or who fail to memorize the colors of which they've killed. We think the following key would be a great addition to the game in terms of lowering the skill ceiling:

Upon attempting a transformation, a button is consistently available that will morph The Thing into the last color they were disguised as. Instead of selecting a color which can take precious seconds, a single button will be constantly in the submenu allowing The Thing to morph into the last color selected. This button could be located within the Transformation Submenu or on the main submenu of The Thing. The idea is that a quick reaction can take place where the thing can use temporary deception to fool marines. Step out of the building for two seconds, kill the marine outside, double tap [Y] (or whatever hotkey) and pop back in. Harder to detect because it takes less time. This hotkey is recommended to be [Y] due to being the same hotkey as the transformation hotkey. Therefore, you can spam the same button to avoid having to select a certain button or hotkey resulting in optimal time.

If this is too hard to code, a randomized color button would be acceptable. Another alternative is having the button select the first marine color on the list that The Thing owns.

Please note these are just some ideas. Don't take them too seriously but please be aware of their potential significance.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 977
    Forum Rating (FR) : 12

Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe Empty Re: Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe

Post by Datasick Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:33 am

What I want to do is throw grenades and molotovs back in mid flight, I have been waiting for that tweak for a while.
    Pandemonium
    Pandemonium
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 114
    Forum Rating (FR) : 1

Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe Empty Re: Feedback and Suggestions - Grey & Probe

Post by Pandemonium Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Datasick wrote:What I want to do is throw grenades and molotovs back in mid flight, I have been waiting for that tweak for a while.

Grenades gets thrown too quickly to be returned. However, you can throw a primed nade on the ground back. On the other hand, molotovs have slow arch animation as it hits you and you can throw it mid air which glitches it and prevents it from exploding.
    Pandemonium
    Pandemonium
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 114
    Forum Rating (FR) : 1

Post by Pandemonium Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Throwing AI

This was suggested long time ago but many players argued that part of the meta is dropping wrenches and corpses on the ground to prevent the Thing from throwing them.

Transformation SubMenu Shortcuts

I agree with this one. Would help with the whole 'deception' theme.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Post by Datasick Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 am

Pandemonium wrote:
    Datasick wrote:What I want to do is throw grenades and molotovs back in mid flight, I have been waiting for that tweak for a while.

Grenades gets thrown too quickly to be returned.

No, I have done it and even though the throw animation plays and it recharges, it will not throw back.

Pandemonium wrote:On the other hand, molotovs have slow arch animation as it hits you and you can throw it mid air which glitches it and prevents it from exploding.

I wish you could have just agreed with me
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:08 am

[Redacted]

Last edited by Probe on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 am

Datasick wrote:I wish you could have just agreed with me

Laughed too hard at this.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 575
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4

Post by willuwontu Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 am

Datasick wrote:
    Pandemonium wrote:

No, I have done it and even though the throw animation plays and it recharges, it will not throw back.

This is due to the programming of the grenades toss, I'll see if i can fix it at some point, but it isn't a priority.
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Post by Datasick Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:06 am

willuwontu wrote:
    Datasick wrote:
    Pandemonium wrote:

This is due to the programming of the grenades toss, I'll see if i can fix it at some point, but it isn't a priority.

You r my hero

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:03 pm