-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

+5
SHODAN
Perplexate
Datasick
Dragon*
Proteo
9 posters

Game's Development Thread

Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 792
    Forum Rating (FR) : 7

Game's Development Thread Empty Game's Development Thread

Post by Vicboy Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 am

In here, we dump info on the game's development and also we codevelopers coordinate with each other in this thread. (Willu, post here to subscribe).

We welcome anyone to give comments on our development choices.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Game's Development Thread Empty Re: Game's Development Thread

Post by Probe Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:33 am

If you want a real development suggestion thread, check out the point system one. Because the points sytem. Is. Retarded.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 575
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4

Post by willuwontu Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:40 am

Grenades should work for burn, however they are last priority in fact here is burn priority
    Flame Gas > Molo > Grenade
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:42 am

So burn is staying and bury is leaving? Again, they are the same thing, only different versions. One or the other.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Gonna bugfix the ping system
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 977
    Forum Rating (FR) : 12

Post by Datasick Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:54 pm

willuwontu wrote:Gonna bugfix the ping system

Only allow 1 ping per 5 seconds.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Each player may ping once a sec now, it'll be easy enough to change now.
    Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Vicboy Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:58 pm

willuwontu wrote:Each player may ping once a sec now, it'll be easy enough to change now.

Rapid pinging can give a sense of urgency. That's why I didn't "fix" it. They should at least be able to ping 5 times per interval.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:57 am

Vicboy wrote:
    willuwontu wrote:Each player may ping once a sec now, it'll be easy enough to change now.

Rapid pinging can give a sense of urgency. That's why I didn't "fix" it. They should at least be able to ping 5 times per interval.
    +1 Rapid pinging is useful also because you can rapid ping a line of pings to show the path people need to take or where the thing has gone.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 am

I will change it to 5 times a sec then easy enough.
    ReeferFist
    ReeferFist
    Captain
    Captain

Forum Points (FP) : 482
    Forum Rating (FR) : -3

Post by ReeferFist Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:44 pm

What a Face
    Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Vicboy Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Your timing for Ping is implemented wrong. By the way, did you move the buttons in the command card? Also, I have doubts on the usefulness on the damage buff.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:34 pm

All buttons are in the same place they were in before.

Damage buff is simple enough to change if necessary.

The biggest thing i'm seeing these days is that the thing has no chance against groups of 5-7 experienced marines that never split up and camp out at comms building. Even the most experienced things have issues with this.

I thought that I would never advocate this, but lets do something about control. We need to either remove it or lessen the decrease around greater amounts of marines (maybe with the side effect of greater decrease around lower amounts of marines). This would be a buff to the things psychological game, and give marines a reason to be in smaller groups in order to force it out.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 am

willuwontu wrote:The biggest thing i'm seeing these days is that the thing has no chance against groups of 5-7 experienced marines that never split up and camp out at comms building. Even the most experienced things have issues with this.

I thought that I would never advocate this, but lets do something about control. We need to either remove it or lessen the decrease around greater amounts of marines (maybe with the side effect of greater decrease around lower amounts of marines). This would be a buff to the things psychological game, and give marines a reason to be in smaller groups in order to force it out.
    With what you said about the groups, that is accurate. I wonder:

If we make it so that 5 marines beside eachother lose oxygen and extend the range of Oxygen between marines, that forces out groups of 3 or 4 which is the ideal amount of marines in a group (Where Thing can contest them and will lose dependent on both sides micro). Furthermore, the Thing is able to rotate between several groups which, unless they have the radio, are not informed of who is in who's group and who has been dying recently.

Now that I think about it, that would be a fucking awesome building. Incorporating elements from Willu's idea of Polarity storms, destroying the building would force marines apart. OMG. I'm posting this in another thread.

Moving on, honestly, I've always thought about control and how its design literally prevents people from staying within the group pretending to be a marine. On the flip side, you can't just remove it because control makes it so that Things that do nothing all game will morph and end the game. I like the idea of control going slower in big groups but faster in small ones. For every marine within range, the rate at which control diminishes is slowed. However, you still need to make sure that if you are in a group of 14 marines (THing included) Thing still needs to be able to lose control or have a failsafe because otherwise some noob could not realize he was Thing and spend 15 minutes in the group doing nothing until he finally morphs. Perhaps there should be a failsafe that if no marines die in the first 10 minutes the game ends, or it re-selects or something.

Speaking of which, you guys still need to get a re-game button working.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:14 am

willuwontu wrote:Damage buff is simple enough to change if necessary.
    Damage does seem pretty useless because Thing can just wait it out. Perhaps a base speed buff that temporarily makes you as fast as the Thing (And then you can stim on top of that?) That would be logical as well because you either A) Just watched your friend die and are terrified of what will happen to you or B) You are sick of this bullshit Thing killing your friends, its time for this bitch to get put down (Avenge!!!!!)

Speed could be used in a variety of situations, whether from running from Thing, chasing it down, racing to evac or to comms or wherever (yes thats a thing) etc.

Damage isn't useful because Thing is faster than Marines and even when they stim, they only shoot a couple times if it runs away. Speed on the other hand allows you to micro and chase after Thing. A big speed buff temporarily would be enough incentive for me to trade a molotov or fuel to burn the body or (maybe) grenades but the damage buff would just be wasted.

However, it is important that you have some sort of bar then that shows when your buff will run out, because chasing out of hiding place to get the Thing and having it run out at the worst moment would be terrible. Dat Adrenaline must be helpful doe 

That's a good name for it :>
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:45 am

The damage buff is very useful, I'm not going to say it's OP, but 4 marines could kill the thing if they had damage buff With out using stim, over the time it takes it to kill 3 of them. That's with no micro from marines also. So damage buff is very useful, I would not exchange it for a speed boost, as that would ruin any things ability to escape.

edit: I would consider removing the move speed debuff. Also I forgot to mention that the buff also slightly increases energy regeneration.

My control change would be that if the thing were with 13 other marines (full map) he would lose (squared if less than 4 ((15 - number of marines around))). It's a minimum of 2 control lost per second. I would also upon marine kill restore square (number of remaining marines) control to him
    Proteo
    Proteo
    Captain
    Captain

Forum Points (FP) : 520

Post by Proteo Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 am

willuwontu wrote:All buttons are in the same place they were in before.

The biggest thing i'm seeing these days is that the thing has no chance against groups of 5-7 experienced marines that never split up and camp out at comms building. Even the most experienced things have issues with this.

What if consume either filled the control back up or gave it a significant amount back?
    Thing player could run out of the room, eat a dead marines body he was carrying, come back in and have the players only be slightly suspicious of him.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 am

Proteo wrote:

What if consume either filled the control back up or gave it a significant amount back?
    Thing player could run out of the room, eat a dead marines body he was carrying, come back in and have the players only be slightly suspicious of him.

Interstitial I may consider that.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:00 am

willuwontu wrote:edit: I would consider removing the move speed debuff. Also I forgot to mention that the buff also slightly increases energy regeneration.

My control change would be that if the thing were with 13 other marines (full map) he would lose (squared if less than 4 ((15 - number of marines around))). It's a minimum of 2 control lost per second. I would also upon marine kill restore square (number of remaining marines) control to him
    The debuff would be enough for me to give up on the speed buff idea. If we look at the whole table system, there is evidence that removing the debuff would be good. If you look below, you realize the way it currently is, its actually NOT promoted to burn the bodies, its better to just leave them or hide them. There is currently more bad than good. However, if the speed debuff was removed, then it would be equal and thus better for the marines. I would argue considering you could not burn the bodies and use them as Throw-Blockers that before AND after are bad for the marines, but I digress.

NOW
    Good: 
    Thing can't heal
    Damage Buff
    Bad:
    Speed reduction
    Item loss
    Marines can't see that person died.
    ---------------
    After
    Good:
    Thing can't heal
    Damage buff
    Bad:
    Item loss
    Marines can't see that person died

A little bit more fair, no?

As for control, I like the changes. It would tone down the ability to turn into a marine while fighting a small group. 

Also, question. How does the control range work? Does it work with a set radius around the thing? Or does it form a chain reaction? Like, if Thing is in range of marine, that marine also gets the radius added to it and any marines in that radius are added to it and so on and so forth.

And final question, which way does oxygen work?
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:02 am

Proteo wrote:

That's a great idea actually. You are carrying a body and are running out of control? Leave room, lock, throw down body, morph, consume, turn back and enter room again :>

EDIT: For that to work, Willu/Vic need to fix the bug where you can see the light shining out of someone's side if they are carrying a body, elsewise too obvious.
    ReeferFist
    ReeferFist
    Captain
    Captain

Post by ReeferFist Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 am

so much type too much read
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:48 am

I don't remember if anyone has posted it here, but consume still needs a nerf to around 20%. 30% is too OP because in a game where there are only 3 noobs, that's a full heal for the Thing. There are usually more noobs than 3. You can waste all your items and he can heal all the way to full wayyyy too quickly. 20% I estimate would be better. Perhaps even lower?

Also, you should add some sort of animation or sound to consume if possible. The sound used to transform from Marineform to Thingform would be appropriate and perhaps a pool of blood appears beneath the body? At the moment it just seems like its unfinished because you activate the consume ability, but literally you just end up walking over to a body and standing there until the body is gone. Perhaps a visual indicator should be added to show how long is left for consume to finish. Its pretty much all a guess on when it will end...

For a visual indicator, think LotV Chrono boost. The following image shows what I'm talking about with the grey line showing how long chrono boost will last.

Game's Development Thread Screen10

EDIT: Of course in this situation the line would go over the Thing.
    ReeferFist
    ReeferFist
    Captain
    Captain

Post by ReeferFist Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:48 am

~not a troll post~

Not a Fan of the burning bodies. or consuming bodies.
    it takes away from the deception aspect of the game. i thought hiding bodies would be nifty but we need the clothes colors to identify the thing in group

im not saying get rid of the 2. but in the first movie (the movie we all prefer =D) mcready mentions 'it rips through your clothse when it takes you over' so maybe after consume there could be shredded clothes left behind because the thing is incapable of processing inorganic matter bounce

but he does mention the name/color was un recognizable.... and marines in game can just hike bodies around so some things need to be tweaked in my opinion

bodies should not be a pocketable item~like the flame thrower. everyone knows when you have it.

not having clues/clothse takes away from the mystery solving aspect of the game. we need that deception to set us apart from all the other no brainer shoot em up's

Ref. 0.25~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7hyzPIbp0
    Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Vicboy Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:15 am

Hey Reefer, can you maintain this?
    ReeferFist
    ReeferFist
    Captain
    Captain

Post by ReeferFist Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 am

my erection? absolutely geek
    Dragon*
    Dragon*
    Private
    Private

Forum Points (FP) : 71
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0

Post by Dragon* Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 am

Buff the riot shield cause the no one uses it cause the slow and also just my own idea change the ingame sound cause sound alone can make terror
    Datasick
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 977
    Forum Rating (FR) : 12

Post by Datasick Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:38 am

Shadow is no longer alone..
    Dragon*
    Dragon*
    Private
    Private

Forum Points (FP) : 71
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0

Game's Development Thread Empty umm

Post by Dragon* Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:49 am

Datasick wrote:Shadow is no longer alone..
    Shadow?
    Perplexate
    Perplexate
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 462
    Forum Rating (FR) : 11

Post by Perplexate Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:37 am

Dragon* wrote:
    Datasick wrote:Shadow is no longer alone..
    Shadow?
    Your better looking twin.
    SHODAN
    SHODAN
    Private
    Private

Forum Points (FP) : -26
    Forum Rating (FR) : -1

Post by SHODAN Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 am

The game is broken now. Specifically the Oxygen system. Now it's incredibly difficult to avoid death via flocks of noobs. Soloing is a must almost. Unless you are lucky enough to find high ranking rines to pair up with. You went too far willuwontu.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am

Break off into groups of 4, oxygen won't deplete then.
    Nor is it an instant kill, marines needed the grouping nerf.

As for noobs, help them learn, we all make mistakes, telling them that they suck doesn't help, explain instead.
    Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Vicboy Wed May 06, 2015 5:32 pm

willuwontu wrote:Break off into groups of 4, oxygen won't deplete then.
    Nor is it an instant kill, marines needed the grouping nerf.

As for noobs, help them learn, we all make mistakes,  telling them that they suck doesn't help, explain instead.

Problem is that they won't give the game a second chance if their experience was shit. Dying from oxygen out of nowhere is a shit experience. At least helplessly die from a horrible monster.

With that in mind, I have to think of ways to hand hold these newbs.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Wed May 06, 2015 9:46 pm

I already gave you three posts practically raging. Revert the oxygen system back to its original. You didn't think very practically when you updated it. It's broken and it's NOT FUN WHICH IS THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE GAME.
    Vicboy
    Vicboy
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Vicboy Wed May 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Talk to willu about it, I don't even know how it works.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Wed May 06, 2015 11:08 pm

It's actually back to the old system now. Lol

Edit: the stats are now exactly the same as the old system, the tech is new.
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Post by willuwontu Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 pm

So, what exactly is wrong with oxygen now and only oxygen? Pls give as much detail as possible such as oxygen is depleting when there is no one around, nor somethung like oxygen is broken fix it.
    ReeferFist
    ReeferFist
    Captain
    Captain

Post by ReeferFist Thu May 07, 2015 2:27 am

the problem is Vicforbrains uploaded a patch before it was ready.

it was most likley someone else's work he didn't review and assumed it was ok. so eager to take all the credits vic is king

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:48 pm