-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

5 posters

Oxygen Distribution Centre (ODC)

Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Oxygen Distribution Centre (ODC) Empty Oxygen Distribution Centre (ODC)

Post by Probe Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 am

So, we all know what a fail the FRK building was. It is literally a bonus communications tower. You don't need it to have the countdown function as normally, but it speeds it up so if you're passing it anyway, might as well repair it. It serves no purpose in the game but to make games end faster.

So lets replace it with something that does exactly what the FRK building was supposed to do, only better.

The oxygen distribution centre. 

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/3/33/ScienceFacility_SC2_Rend1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100817235123

OR

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/9/96/ShadowOps_SC2_Rend1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100818210857

So what does the Oxygen Distribution Centre do? How does it function?

The ODC works like this:

-While running normally, Marines' oxygen levels function normally. 

-While the ODC is in Critical Mode, less marines are required to activate oxygen depletion within Marines, and Oxygen's Range between marine's increases, encompassing more marines than before.

-Repairing puts the Oxygen function back to normal.

Why does it function this way and what will this achieve?

Well first off, its functions make it an extremely valuable building for marines, while still being unnecessary for victory. Camping with many marine's is easily possible while the building is alive with the marines spreading out a tiny bit, but the moment the building goes down, marine's are forced to separate into groups of 3 or 4 (4 or 5 marine's should trigger oxygen loss) and due to the Oxygen Encompass Range increasing, these groups cannot simply spread out and follow one another.  

Why those numbers in particular? Because 3-4 marines depending on micro can contest the Thing fairly.

What does this achieve?

-It forces marine's to spread out (No camping!)
    -Different objectives will actually be held at the same time because groups have separated and one is going to comms while the other might be trying to get oxygen online again, and another is going to gen etc etc.
    -It forces teamwork because you need to be able to communicate well to know who's gone into who's group and who's alive and such
    -PROMOTES DECEPTION (Because lots of small groups won't know who died on the other side of the map, whereas in big groups its obvious when someone dies.)
    -Makes radios more important (Because small groups can communicate and know where each other are.) Also, promotes deception because it means Thing can tell them lies about a group dying and impersonate them etc.

Concerns you may have...

"Won't this mean that when the building is killed, it essentially damns a single marine from groups of 4 or 5"

Absolutely. That's the point. One marine may be forced away from the group, allowing for that single marine to now be impersonated at some point in the future. Now, its not all groups who know everything. Now there are single solo marines.

"Won't single marines just be gunned down on sight?"

Perhaps. It depends on the situation. If you desperately need another marine to help fight Thing, it might be worth trusting him. Perhaps not. That's part of the game. 

This building should replace the FRK building because in its current state, FRK building is absolutely useless and does nothing to make the game more dynamic.

EDIT: And the one loophole that marine's could camp the oxygen? Let them, The Thing can just kill the comms forcing them to move again, perhaps separate and leave some people behind to guard  the ODC.
    Proteo
    Proteo
    Captain
    Captain

Forum Points (FP) : 520
    Forum Rating (FR) : 7

Oxygen Distribution Centre (ODC) Empty Re: Oxygen Distribution Centre (ODC)

Post by Proteo Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55 am

Probe wrote:So, we all know what a fail the FRK building was. It is literally a bonus communications tower. You don't need it to have the countdown function as normally, but it speeds it up so if you're passing it anyway, might as well repair it. It serves no purpose in the game but to make games end faster.

So lets replace it with something that does exactly what the FRK building was supposed to do, only better.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/3/33/ScienceFacility_SC2_Rend1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100817235123

OR

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/9/96/ShadowOps_SC2_Rend1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100818210857

The ODC works like this:

-While the ODC is in Critical Mode, less marines are required to activate oxygen depletion within Marines, and Oxygen's Range between marine's increases, encompassing more marines than before.

Well first off, its functions make it an extremely valuable building for marines, while still being unnecessary for victory. Camping with many marine's is easily possible while the building is alive with the marines spreading out a tiny bit, but the moment the building goes down, marine's are forced to separate into groups of 3 or 4 (4 or 5 marine's should trigger oxygen loss) and due to the Oxygen Encompass Range increasing, these groups cannot simply spread out and follow one another.  

Why those numbers in particular? Because 3-4 marines depending on micro can contest the Thing fairly.

What does this achieve?

-Different objectives will actually be held at the same time because groups have separated and one is going to comms while the other might be trying to get oxygen online again, and another is going to gen etc etc.
    -It forces teamwork because you need to be able to communicate well to know who's gone into who's group and who's alive and such
    -PROMOTES DECEPTION (Because lots of small groups won't know who died on the other side of the map, whereas in big groups its obvious when someone dies.)
    -Makes radios more important (Because small groups can communicate and know where each other are.) Also, promotes deception because it means Thing can tell them lies about a group dying and impersonate them etc.

Concerns you may have...

"Won't this mean that when the building is killed, it essentially damns a single marine from groups of 4 or 5"

Absolutely. That's the point. One marine may be forced away from the group, allowing for that single marine to now be impersonated at some point in the future. Now, its not all groups who know everything. Now there are single solo marines.

Perhaps. It depends on the situation. If you desperately need another marine to help fight Thing, it might be worth trusting him. Perhaps not. That's part of the game. 

This building should replace the FRK building because in its current state, FRK building is absolutely useless and does nothing to make the game more dynamic.

EDIT: And the one loophole that marine's could camp the oxygen? Let them, The Thing can just kill the comms forcing them to move again, perhaps separate and leave some people behind to guard  the ODC.

I'd like to see a post where, for once, you compliment the game that you are an Admin of, instead of always saying the shittiest things possible.
    Also, the Accelerator is a pretty good building, and makes those 20min games go down. Also, it gives the marines another building to be at, but doesn't force them to be there. It was a well thought out building.

That being said, I think this building would be good. But instead of getting rid of the Accel, combine this building with the flame-regen building. If the Flamer "runs" off of liquid O2, it would make sense that the building also controls the general oxygen. Although, the function would make little sense on any map other than Ragnov, seeing as how every other map has open environments. But hey, it might make it so marines can't camp as easy which is a plus in my book. Just don't take away a perfectly useful, and good building because this Ass Hat has a problem with literally every function in this game.
    That is all.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:09 am

Proteo wrote:
    Probe wrote:So, we all know what a fail the FRK building was. It is literally a bonus communications tower. You don't need it to have the countdown function as normally, but it speeds it up so if you're passing it anyway, might as well repair it. It serves no purpose in the game but to make games end faster.

OR

The ODC works like this:

What does this achieve?

Concerns you may have...

I'd like to see a post where, for once, you compliment the game that you are an Admin of, instead of always saying the shittiest things possible.
    Also, the Accelerator is a pretty good building, and makes those 20min games go down. Also, it gives the marines another building to be at, but doesn't force them to be there. It was a well thought out building.

That being said, I think this building would be good. But instead of getting rid of the Accel, combine this building with the flame-regen building. If the Flamer "runs" off of liquid O2, it would make sense that the building also controls the general oxygen. Although, the function would make little sense on any map other than Ragnov, seeing as how every other map has open environments. But hey, it might make it so marines can't camp as easy which is a plus in my book. Just don't take away a perfectly useful, and good building because this Ass Hat has a problem with literally every function in this game.
    That is all.
    Not a problem with every function. But a lot of them, yes. And I see the thought process behind the FRK building, but the building has so little impact that it doesn't affect gameplay. Besides randomly making the timer go faster, there are only a handful of situations where the FRK building is useful and they don't occur enough. The Flamer building is arguably important, the comms is really important, the gen is also really important, but the FRK is the only building you can completely ignore for the whole game and not even think about. Each building should be equally important, or at least important enough that when it is destroyed, people don't think "Ah, stay here. There's no point." 

And the 20 minute games? You want them shorter, then vote the damned lobby timer down. And doesn't force them to be there? You aren't "forced" to go to any building. The only building you are arguably "forced" to go to is comms if you aren't confident taking the Thing down otherwise.

And pointing out the shitty things is exactly what makes it better because it improves the shitty things. I'm not going around posting threads about all the good stuff because it would be pointless.
    Proteo
    Proteo
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Proteo Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:19 am

[quote="Probe"]
    Proteo wrote:
    Probe wrote:
    Not a problem with every function. But a lot of them, yes. And I see the thought process behind the FRK building, but the building has so little impact that it doesn't affect gameplay. Besides randomly making the timer go faster, there are only a handful of situations where the FRK building is useful and they don't occur enough. The Flamer building is arguably important, the comms is really important, the gen is also really important, but the FRK is the only building you can completely ignore for the whole game and not even think about. Each building should be equally important, or at least important enough that when it is destroyed, people don't think "Ah, stay here. There's no point." 

And the 20 minute games? You want them shorter, then vote the damned lobby timer down. And doesn't force them to be there? You aren't "forced" to go to any building. The only building you are arguably "forced" to go to is comms if you aren't confident taking the Thing down otherwise.

And pointing out the shitty things is exactly what makes it better because it improves the shitty things. I'm not going around posting threads about all the good stuff because it would be pointless.

You contradict your first paragraph with your second one. "Each building should be equally important, or at least important enough that when it is destroyed, people dont think "Ah, stay here. There's no point."
    "You aren't 'forced' to go to any building." So obviously, the building are not equally important.
    Here's what I know. If the flame building is down, I'm not going to go fix it. But if the Lights, Comms, or Accel is down, theres a pretty hefty chance I might go fix one of those. The only reason you would fix the Flame Regen at this point is because you or somebody in your party has the flamer and it is out of fuel. That's it. It serves no other purpose than to half fill the Flamer. Where as the Accel can make the time go 2x as fast, and make the thing have to react quickly rather than just waiting around. If you have 4 marines camping the comms, and 4 at the accel you have an interesting game.
    If you have 4 marines at the Comms and 4 at the Flame Regen, then you will remain scratching your head going "WTF."
    I think there is more of a reason, to almost all the "Pro's" or those that have been around for a while, more of them would agree that repairing the Accel holds a far greater priority over the Flame regen. When I'm thing, I don't even worry about destroying the Flame because it's pointless. It gives away my location, and only serves me good to destroy it if I can't target the player who has the actual Flamer.
    Now if you dual purposed the building, it would serve a much greater purpose. But, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of the Accel.
    Also, with your stupid fucking "Just choose a shorter time" comment, its like mother fucking pro-opt or picking a map. 1 person does not have the choice. I can vote, but that doesn't mean everyone else will vote medium time or Aquilon map. The accel provides an option to shorten the time. I know when I see a game and, it's got a 20+ minute timer, I don't think "Oh man I only have to wait 20mins for the shuttle," rather, I think
    "Shit it's either hunt the thing down or die."
    It completely changes what kind of game it is, how the thing plays, etc. But if the timer can be shortened, that in itself completely changes the whole dynamic of the game.
    KEEP THE ACCEL, IMPLEMENT THIS GREAT IDEA INTO THE EXISTING BUILDING. PROTEO SUPPORTS
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:02 am

Proteo wrote:
    Probe wrote:
    Proteo wrote:

You contradict your first paragraph with your second one. "Each building should be equally important, or at least important enough that when it is destroyed, people dont think "Ah, stay here. There's no point."
    "You aren't 'forced' to go to any building." So obviously, the building are not equally important.
    Here's what I know. If the flame building is down, I'm not going to go fix it. But if the Lights, Comms, or Accel is down, theres a pretty hefty chance I might go fix one of those. The only reason you would fix the Flame Regen at this point is because you or somebody in your party has the flamer and it is out of fuel. That's it. It serves no other purpose than to half fill the Flamer. Where as the Accel can make the time go 2x as fast, and make the thing have to react quickly rather than just waiting around. If you have 4 marines camping the comms, and 4 at the accel you have an interesting game.
    If you have 4 marines at the Comms and 4 at the Flame Regen, then you will remain scratching your head going "WTF."
    I think there is more of a reason, to almost all the "Pro's" or those that have been around for a while, more of them would agree that repairing the Accel holds a far greater priority over the Flame regen. When I'm thing, I don't even worry about destroying the Flame because it's pointless. It gives away my location, and only serves me good to destroy it if I can't target the player who has the actual Flamer.
    Now if you dual purposed the building, it would serve a much greater purpose. But, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of the Accel.
    Also, with your stupid fucking "Just choose a shorter time" comment, its like mother fucking pro-opt or picking a map. 1 person does not have the choice. I can vote, but that doesn't mean everyone else will vote medium time or Aquilon map. The accel provides an option to shorten the time. I know when I see a game and, it's got a 20+ minute timer, I don't think "Oh man I only have to wait 20mins for the shuttle," rather, I think
    "Shit it's either hunt the thing down or die."
    It completely changes what kind of game it is, how the thing plays, etc. But if the timer can be shortened, that in itself completely changes the whole dynamic of the game.
    KEEP THE ACCEL, IMPLEMENT THIS GREAT IDEA INTO THE EXISTING BUILDING. PROTEO SUPPORTS
    I thought about it more and understand (to know and to agree) with your perception of the flame regeneration building. Its not equal to the comms or the gen. But the thing is it still offers a diverse, extremely useful function for the marines. It can make or break a team's chances of winning. Frk Building? much less likely of really helping. Sure it shorten the timer but I consider camping with 8 marines at comms more important than having 4 at each even in that situation because that means Thing can't go in, pick one marine off, leave and regen and then go back in vs less firepower from marines. vs 4 marines, you can zerg until theres not enough of them left.

And your obviously not thinking in depth enough. I didn't contradict myself. Think about it. If all buildings are equal then there should be no issue with staying or going. They are the same. Except for the journey to the building. The Thing can more easily pick off marine's when they are moving. Its also important to note that certain buildings, while they are all equal in importance, will vary slightly in the priority of them depending on your situation. For example, the comms is the most important if there are 20 seconds left but the Generator is the most important if there are 20 minutes left and only 6 marines alive. They should all be equal, but vary on priority based on situation. And the situation will always change.

1 person does not have the choice. I can vote, but that doesn't mean everyone else will vote medium time or Aquilon map. The accel provides an option to shorten the time. I know when I see a game and, it's got a 20+ minute timer, I don't think "Oh man I only have to wait 20mins for the shuttle," rather, I think....

By that logic, couldn't you have also technically argued that since 1 person can't sway the tide that much, we should add an option for a marine to change the map if he voted Sahara but everyone else voted ragnov? That's essentially a parallel, no? Voting is your choice. If you choice isn't the most selected, that's unfortunate for you. You aren't the majority in that situation.
    ReeferFist
    ReeferFist
    Captain
    Captain

Forum Points (FP) : 482
    Forum Rating (FR) : -3

Post by ReeferFist Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 am

penis =3
    willuwontu
    willuwontu
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 575
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4

Post by willuwontu Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:43 am

For the record, and this is my opinion (not affecting any future updates right now), I hate the fucking accel building.

When I manage to get the timer to epic length in a full lobby as thing, and 5 min into the game the shuttle comes, that's fucking bullshit.

Also meh on the oxygen building, not a horrible idea, but not somethign I'm seriously considering now, although permakilling the accel building every game i'm admin does sound nice.
    Proteo
    Proteo
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Proteo Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:30 am

Probe wrote:

By that logic, couldn't you have also technically argued that since 1 person can't sway the tide that much, we should add an option for a marine to change the map if he voted Sahara but everyone else voted ragnov? That's essentially a parallel, no? Voting is your choice. If you choice isn't the most selected, that's unfortunate for you. You aren't the majority in that situation.

No
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Post by Probe Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:19 am

willuwontu wrote:For the record, and this is my opinion (not affecting any future updates right now), I hate the fucking accel building.

When I manage to get the timer to epic length in a full lobby as thing, and 5 min into the game the shuttle comes, that's fucking bullshit.

Also meh on the oxygen building, not a horrible idea, but not somethign I'm seriously considering now, although permakilling the accel building every game i'm admin does sound nice.
    You get me <3
    Perplexate
    Perplexate
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

Forum Points (FP) : 462
    Forum Rating (FR) : 11

Post by Perplexate Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Petition to end your gay fag argument and rename te 'ODC' the 'FRK Building'.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content