-The Thing- [Revival]

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» Games will be running through September/December
by Rachyl Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm

» Speak out
by Rachyl Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

» Join The Thing Revival Game!
by Rachyl Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

» CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS CALLING ALL THING PLAYERS
by Rachyl Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 am

» RETURNING PLAYERBASE COME TO THING DISCORD
by Rachyl Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:18 am

» Project Showcase?
by Rachyl Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:15 am

» ERROR MESSAGE
by Rachyl Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:08 am

3 posters

Marine Classes & Different Thing types

Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Forum Points (FP) : 182
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0

Marine Classes & Different Thing types Empty Marine Classes & Different Thing types

Post by Durzan Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Okay, so in the past, we've talked about having different types of things. Now I am going to suggest something similar for marines, as currently playing as Marine is rather bland. What if, in addition to perks, there were different classes of marines which the players could unlock and then use. Each would have its own unique playing style, and a different model to correlate.

For the sake of simplicity, Stats will be ranked on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the worst, and 5 the best. This also allows the devs to make calls on exactly what the stats should be... I have no clue what stats are what and how they work, so its up to them.

Marine -- Your default selection. A well-rounded unit suited for new players. DPS: 3, Speed: 3, Armor: 3, Range: 3, Health: 3. Unit Model: Marine. Weaknesses: None. Special Abilities: Stimpack. Versatility (Passive) -- A Marine may choose two secondary perks.

Scout -- A fast soldier specializing in speed and mobility over straight up combat. DPS: 3, Range: 2, Speed: 5, Armor: 1, Health: 3. Unit Model: Reaper. Weaknesses: A Scout trades Armor and Weapon Range for its increased speed. A scout relies on its speed to avoid taking damage, and as such it should take roughly 2 hits from the Thing to die. Effects that slow units down are extra effective on Scouts. Special Abilities: Deploy Mine -- Spend 20 energy to deploy a hidden mine that explodes when walked over by anyone other than yourself. When triggered it deals area damage equal to 1/5 that of a grenade, temporarily slows the targets' speed by 20%, and increases their damage taken by 20%. These effects last for no longer than 3 seconds. It takes 3 seconds to deploy the mine, and only 3 mines may be deployed at a time. A player who has the radar perk can detect mines. Evasion (Passive) -- The scout has a 5% chance of eliminating the damage of a single attack. When this happens, it drains 10 energy. Notes: Movement speed should be equal to or slightly slower than a stemmed marine.

Sharpshooter -- A soldier who excels at dealing long range damage. DPS: 2, Range: 5, Speed: 3, Armor: 2, Health: 3. Unit Model: Spectre. Weaknesses: A Sharpshooter trades attack speed for higher damage and range, resulting in less DPS. Because of his heavy weaponry, a Sharpshooter is outfitted with lighter armor. Special Abilities: Cloak -- Activate your cloaking device for 5 seconds, making it much easier for you to sneak away. While cloaked, you cannot attack, and your movement speed is slightly reduced. Precise Shot (Passive)-- Each attack you make has a 5% chance of doing extra damage. When this happens, it drains 10 energy.

Juggernaught -- A soldier in heavy armor. DPS: 3, Range: 2, Speed: 1, Armor: 4, Health: 3. Unit Model: Marauder. Weaknesses: While the Juggernaught can take quite a bit of punishment due to its high armor and health, it is slow moving and has a shorter range than its peers. Special Abilities: Stimpack. Minigun (Passive) -- A Juggernaught wields a mini-gun, allowing it to deal more damage over an extended period of time, although its attacks start out slow, they speed up with continued fire. (functions similarly to the Minigun perk)

Medic -- A soldier trained in first aid. DPS: 2, Range: 2, Speed: 4, Armor: 1, Health: 3. Unit Model: Medic (Stetman). Weaknesses: Medics serve a support role, and as such, they are fairly squishy in combat. Special Abilities: Heal -- A medic may spend 30 energy to heal a single target as if they used a medkit. Blinding Flare -- A medic can spend 20 energy to temporarily blind a single target granting them time to escape. This ability reduces the target's movement and attack speed by 25% for 2 seconds.

Mechanic -- A soldier trained in repair. DPS: 2, Range: 3, Speed: 3, Armor: 1, Health: 3. Unit Model: SCV. Weaknesses: Mechanics serve a support role, and as such, they are fairly squishy in combat. Special Abilities: Build Drone -- A mechanic may spend 25 energy to summon a mechanical drone that can be used to for scouting or repair. The drone lasts for 30 seconds and can repair things as if it was holding a wrench. Only one drone can be summoned at a time. Build Turret -- A mechanic can spend 25 energy to place down a single turret that will automatically attack the Thing when it is in its natural form, or which can be manually directed to attack another player. The turret lasts for 30 seconds, and deals damage as if it were an unstemmed marine. Only one such turret may be placed at a time.

Of course, for this system to work, perks and items would have to be changed somewhat. At least one or two perks would be made redundant with some of these suggestions, and quite a few items would have to be adjusted to accomadate for the new classes

I would suggest setting classes to work similarly to how perks currently function... sort of making them "primary perks" you could say. From there, I'd change the current perks to fufill a more secondary role, and only allow 1 perk and 1 class per player. If someone chooses the Marine class, then they get a second perk on top of the first.

Also, since there would now be more than one class for marines, the poor Thing would need to be buffed, and also recieve some diversification as well in order to meet the new challenges. Such additional Thing Types would function similarly to Marine Classes, but only effect how the Thing plays in its Thing Form.

Edit: I am quoting Idea's from a previous thread, which was made to discuss the addition of Thing Types. While the stats are not necessarily what I would've thought of, the suggestions are in line with the ideas that I had.

Perplexate wrote:Allow me to help put in some base numbers and ideas for this. For comparison:

Original Thing Base Stats:
    HP: 300 (Varies)
    Damage: 15
    Speed: (Approx. 1.5x Marines Speed)
    Attack Speed: (Approx. 1.5)

Zergling: (Speed Class)
    HP: 145
    Damage: 5 (10 hits)
    Speed: 2.1x Marine Speed
    Attack Speed: 0.5
    Abilities:
    -Carry (Carry's target with Thing for 5 seconds, marine is immune to damage during this time and thing gets +5% speed boost. Cooldown: 40s)
    -Jump (Thing Jumps to target location gaining immunity while doing so. Can jump over doors. Cooldown: 45s)

Brute/Ultra: (Tank Class)
    HP: 400
    Speed: 1.1x Marine Speed
    Damage: 23
    Attack Speed: 2
    AoE: 3 (Decently large AoE)
    Abilities:
    -Armored (Thing loses 75% movement speed and reduces incoming attacks by 95% for 5 seconds. Cooldown: 55s)
    -Slam (Thing bashes area around it stunning all marines within the area, and dealing a significant amount of damage. Cooldown: 45s)

Changeling: (Deception Class)
    HP: 145
    Damage: 8
    Speed: 1.35x Marine Speed
    Attack Speed: 1.1
    Abilities:
    -Change (May change to the color of any marine while in changeling form. Changeling form is the same size as a marine form but abilities may not be used in marine form.)
    -Cloak (Thing cloaks for 25 seconds, attacks will disrupt this. Can be attacked if touched. Cooldown: 45s)
    -(Passive) Signal (Thing can signal anywhere on the map with a ping which all players see, and can talk through radio at all times.)
    -Engulf (Thing latches to single player, dealing 4HPPS, marine cannot move or talk during this time, but may shoot and use items. Thing takes 50% more damage during this time. Cooldown: 25s).

I might do the rest later, but that's a base for the main one's.

Last edited by Durzan on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Marine Classes & Different Thing types Empty Re: Marine Classes & Different Thing types

Post by Durzan Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:15 am

Hello?
    Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Marine Classes & Different Thing types Empty Re: Marine Classes & Different Thing types

Post by Durzan Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:44 pm

Surely someone can comment on this?
    Dude
    Dude
    Private
    Private

Forum Points (FP) : 80

Post by Dude Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 am

this is a good idea and i like it, but also i like my perks that i always choose
    Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Durzan Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 pm

honestly, the classes are based off of the current perks. The sprinter perk gets translated into the scout class, the juggernaut/minigun perks to the juggernaut class, etc.
    Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Durzan Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Bump.

Added a quote about Thing Types from another thread.
    Durzan
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Durzan Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Bump.
    Probe
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24

Post by Probe Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 pm

It's nice to see some interest in the game. I'm not entirely sure that we'll be seeing significant updates to The Thing Revival in the future anymore. Development has slowed down significantly with many projects only half-completed. With dying interest, it's very hard to see many of these projects becoming an integral part to the game. I'll consider pushing Willu to at least finish the UI if I can find the time to give him some rough work for the ingame screens but besides that, there are no promises that the class system will actually make it onto the live servers.

EDIT: You know what would be nice? A story system mechanic that I could use because then I could do some interesting things on my own. **Pointing at you, Vicboy, Willu and Darkblizzard.**

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 11:13 am